Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pregnancy and Post Gastric Bypass

Being post gastric bypass and pregnant is a little scary. An update is certainly necessary since August 10, 2010. I found out shortly after my last post that I'm expecting a baby in April!! It's safe for me to have a baby now, because it's been more than two year's since my surgery. However, it doesn't change how much I worry about the weight gain. I have monitored it closely, and so far I'm doing pretty well. I've only gained about 16 lbs in the first six months. My doctors say I'm all on track. I had one doctor give me a hard time after I gained a few pounds in a month, and I informed the practice not only that I didn't want to see that doctor again, but that future doctors needed to make sure they read my chart. With a history of anxiety and depression, they really needed to be more sensitive, and unless it was a health issue for myself or the baby...leave the weigh thing alone. Obviously I worry about it enough.


My strategy is just to keep as active as possible, walking the dog daily, climbing the stairs (I live on the fourth floor), and biking/doing tai chi a few times a week. That seems to be helping me so far...at least from blowing up like a big balloon.

My biggest concern is after the baby (his name is Jack) is born, and how to go back to a proper "pouch test" mode...like for a month, replace two meals with protein drinks. That seems to be my best strategy.

I'm also working on implementing some things I've learned in psychology classes for grad school to apply to my issues with exercise. Working with a therapist, I'm delving into the "self efficacy" I should feel about moving and taking care of my body. Self efficacy is more than motivation, but the intrinsic belief that you can do something and keep doing it. If I can find the part of me that drives that belief, then hopefully I can embrace movement.

I have posted a pregnancy journal over on the ThinnerTimes website, where you can read the progression of weeks and what I went through:
Mary's Post Gastric Bypass Pregnancy Journal

I'll probably post more right after the baby is born...let you know how I get on with exercise and post pregnancy weight loss.
Mary K.

No comments: